8 Aug 2015
Hiking is one of the more popular recreational activities as it can easily adjust to any level of fitness. It is very inexpensive and easy to start and continue. This makes it excellent for people who are hoping to improve their fitness, as they can simply take more and more difficult hikes with the customizable nature. Landscapes can greatly vary from well maintained paths to rocky slopes.
As we rise in age, we also become more conscious with heath. Thanks to the device testing experts, heath instruments are very accessible which have been a great help to monitor our conditions. Here are the health benefits that hiking provides:
It is good for the Heart:
- Lowers your risk of developing heart diseases such as coronary heart disease, stroke and high blood pressure
- Improves your bloop pressure
- Improves cardio-respiratory fitness (heart, lungs, blood vessels)
- Lower risk of high cholesterol
It is good for the Body:
- Weight control – hiking can burn up to 370 calories per hour. Hiking uphill can burn similar amounts of calories to jogging.
- Boosts bone density or slow down loss of density- since walking is a weight-bearing exercise, it encourages healthy bone structure and reduces the chances of osteoporosis.
- Improves muscular fitness – builds strength in your glutes, quadriceps, hamstrings, and the muscles in your hips and lower legs.
- Lowers risk of cancer – colon and breast cancer, and possibly lung and endometrial cancer
- Lower risks of early death – staying active for 7 hours a week, lowers your risk of dying to 40% than someone active for less than 30 minutes a week
- Being exposed to sunshine will also increase your levels of vitamin D
- Helps reduce insulin resistance in both the short and long term
- Lowers risk of high blood sugar levels
- Lowers risk of developing Type 2 diabetes
- Strengthens your core
- Improves balance
It is good for the Mind:
- Boost your mood – hiking has a positive impact on combating the symptoms of stress and anxiety
- Reduces depression and provides better quality of sleep
- Good for social development and communication as hiking can be done in peers or groups
- Increases feelings of happiness and help you feel more fulfilled
- Reduces risk for insomnia
- Clears and eases your mind
- A very good stress reliever
- Helps you feel closer to nature and natural rhythms